Thankfully, for me, my drive home is usually pretty short, so I just usually drive home in my wetsuit. If I have to look forward to a rashy long drive, though, I'd better pack a way to get out of my suit without giving the folks on A1A a better show than the Lido Cabaret (for better or worse).
I've seen those nice expensive changing ponchos for the parking lot, but I had a nice large towel already that is 33" wide by 66" long- no holes in this old towel!- that would do nicely to make one.
| My nice big beach non holey towel |
I folded mine in half and pinned down each side fully. Don't be stingy with the pins- pin the entire length down each side together:
| Pinning each side in place |
Don't forget to cut a neckline as well- I do this by taking that same shirt as a guide by holding it up to the middle of the fold, and measuring. I noticed that this one could use about 3 inches on each side since I've got a bulbous head like George Costanza, so I gave myself 12 inches across right in the middle(!).Honestly, just keep in mind that the towel won't stretch like your favorite t-shirt will, so make sure to give yourself a generous slit, but don't let it fall off your shoulder:
Since I gave myself a football sized head, I didn't think I had much depth (haha), so I'm pretty shallow, at only an inch.....
I needed to sew the raw edge of the collar, so I just overlocked the edge using a basic overlock stitch on my machine:
That didn't create a very nice finished look for the collar, so I finished it using some extra wide double fold bias tape stitched over the raw edge, kind of like a quilt edge:
Much Better!
Here it is over a full suit, ready to go:
I guess a hood would be easy enough to add like I've seen on some of the coverups, but if it's cold enough that I'd need a hood to change out of my wetsuit, that also means a football or basketball game is on somewhere and I'm missing it in some warm place.
Bring on Summer.
Great idea, thanks, just what I was looking for and at the cost point I wanted!
ReplyDeleteThanks for checking out the project! There's a "deluxe" version I made more recently here that you might also want to try to DIY too:
DeleteDeluxe Beach Cover Up
Mahalo!!