To show a couple of ways of cleaning art or anything off a board that is permanent, I used my beloved 8'6" Natural Art epoxy board. I had a little "tattoo" of a seahorse I had drawn a while back using a Sharpie black fine line pen, and gold paint pen over it. It looks kind of goofy, and I'd like a do-over on it.
| A little seahorse, but off center- D'OH! |
To clean my board, I got some non-acetone nail polish remover and a "magic" eraser brick. For the non-acetone nail polish remover, you will have to look at the label closely to make sure it says this. Non-acetone nail polish remover is used for women (or men- I don't judge) who have artificial nails. Some types of these nails are fiberglass with a gel coat- sound familiar?- and using regular acetone will weaken the gel coat surface.| Cleaning tools. |
| Removing the image |
| Removed! (Still needs a bit more to get some of the leftovers) |
I used a magic eraser on some black marks I had on the rail of my board that just wouldn't wash off:
After wetting the eraser, it took about a minute of scrubbing to get these marks off, but it removed them cleanly:
Now, after all that, you may want to repaint your board. If you are looking for a way to do that, but that will hold up in the surf, look here. In that project, I did use regular acetone to initially clean the board, but that was to make sure I throughly dissolved any existing wax. Non-acetone nail polish remover would work OK as well to remove wax residue, and really is safer overall for the glass.
So if you repaint your board, have fun and get creative- just don't paint stick figures of each member of your family on it. Save that for the minivan.
No comments:
Post a Comment