Friday, November 30, 2012

DIY Personalized Surf Wax

Making the rounds on the craft scene lately have been tutorials on how to create custom candles with some Sharpies, tissue paper and wax paper. I thought that was pretty cool, but I thought I would try it with surf wax. This could make a great gift for the holidays!
Just like I said before, I gathered white tissue paper, wax paper, some Sharpies, a bar of wax, and my hair dryer (a heat gun is even better and won't get your fingers hot while holding the wax).
I cut a piece of tissue paper off, bigger than the bar of wax. Since I was using Sticky Bumps, I traced the outline of the two rectangles on the tissue:
This will be the area I can do my artwork. I then cut out the two rectangles and placed them on the wax directly. You may want to cut the rectangles a little smaller to let the wax on the wax paper melt around the edges, but it works OK if you cut them flush. I decided to keep it simple for this example:
Tissue rectangles laid onto the wax
Place a large piece of wax paper (waxy side down) on the top of the wax. Use a heat gun or hair dryer and heat the wax paper while holding it it down and in place. Don't overheat the wax- you're just trying to get the wax on the paper to melt just enough to seal in the tissue paper.
Here it is completed:
Wise surf saying.....
Of course, you can do this by running a piece of tissue paper taped to a sheet through an ink jet printer, and use photos to decor the wax.
Here's a couple more designs I did, one on a candle, and one on another bar of surf wax:
 
After you've made these, you can put the wax back in the wrapper and tape it closed, if you were careful with the wrapper. This would be a neat surprise for the recipient- unless you put some nasty words on it. Don't disrespect the wax that way... be nice!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment