El Nino has been showing a taste of what's to come around here. We've had a few days of glassy surf, then windy storm chop and hellacious rain, then cold temps and offshore winds. We've already repeated this pattern a few times, and I'm sure there's a couple of more in store before Spring. It was a rainy, windy, washed out day Wednesday, so I decided to strip my nastiest board to recycle the wax. I've recycled wax before, but this was especially cruddy, so I thought I'd try a new technique.
Here is my gnar gnar board, which is a 6'10", so I should be able to get a fair amount of wax. Especially since I never change it out apparently:
There must be more tar in the water
than I thought.
|
| Removing the darkest wax |
The remaining wax I scraped up to use is still pretty dark.
|
| Wax clump in the double boiler |
Since I'm going to use it in cold water (and dropping temp fast....brrrr), I'm going to add 1/4 teaspoon of coconut oil to soften up the wax. I only used this much since I estimated the wax I had scraped came out to approximately 1 cup. For kicks, I also added 2 drops of grapefruit essential oil to give the wax a pleasant smell. We know where it's been.
Adding 1/4 teaspoon of coconut oil to the wax
to make it more suitable for cold water
|
| Stirring the mixture with a bamboo skewer |
For molds, I used an OLD muffin tin and placed a couple of muffin liners in it (I didn't have THAT much wax!). Over the top of the two liners, I cut a layer of cheesecloth to catch any more nastiness I could get.
| Muffin tin and cheesecloth |
| Wax poured into molds |
So, here's the final product on the right, with a new bar of Mrs. Palmer's on the left. Yes, its a little darker, but it's clean from grime and sand, and is tacky like me!
| New wax vs. recycled wax |
No comments:
Post a Comment