I figured it would be nice to have something that could hold my wet stuff, be a little more permanent, stand out and be seen, and be worth keeping. So I made my own simple post surf wet clothes bag.
I started off using an old clear shower liner I had, but never used. You can use one that's been used, just give it a good washing prior to doing this project to remove any soap residue.
| Save those magnets!!!! |
This bag is going to be like a simple envelope- I'm going to fold up the bottom, and fold over a small section to make a flap to close with Velcro.
I wanted to make this kind of girly, so I picked up some Duct Tape that had girly colors- for the guys, they have plenty of manly prints too, plus boring silver, of course. I used this as stabilizer to go under the Velcro strips I'm going to put on the flap for the opening. I found pink Velcro which was AWESOME:
First, I took a strip of the duct tape and ran it along each edge, front and back. I trimmed off the sides of the duct tape to neaten it up.
Along one edge, I chose this as the bottom Velcro strip- this is important- I put the hooked side on the bottom. This keeps the hooks from snagging on my gear as I'm sliding it into the bag. I used a 70 weight Microtex (sharp) needle on this material and a 3.0 straight stitch. I lined it up around a quarter inch down from the top edge and ran the line of stitching down the edge of the Velcro:
I stitched lines down both edges and repeated this on the other edge on the top:
Next, I used a duct tape sheet (they sell these in big box stores and craft stores) to cut a 2.5" wide strip to make a wrap to join the sides together:
I peeled back the adhesive backing and lined the sides up to make the pocket:
You can leave it at that, but I reinforced it with a line of stitching.
I didn't want the top flap corners to stick out and be pointy, so I trimmed off the corners:
I wanted to hide my stitching line, so I cut a narrow strip from another sheet of colored duct tape to put over the line:
Finished!
| Finished with bikini, rashguard, and boardshorts inside! |
Now I can try to keep the "stank" to my surfing.
No comments:
Post a Comment