I gave her a fin cover, but those type are really for storage use, not everyday wear and tear. For this use, I needed to make her something extra padded and soft so it wouldn't scratch her other boards.
I was in Tar-Jay yesterday when I came across some drying mats. These mats have a thick foam core layered between sheets of terrycloth material. What better material to use for this project?
| 2 drying mats, 18" by 15" each |
| 9" SUP fin |
| Sketching the pattern |
| Getting ready to cut out the shape |
| The core of the mat |
I stapled the two pieces together instead of using pins so the edges wouldn't distort:
| Don't forget to remove your staples or the cover won't do it's job! |
The overall thickness of the two mats together is 5/8". I wanted to overlock the edges to flatten them down a bit to make it a bit easier to sew. I don't have a serger, so I used an overlock foot and set my machine to the highest width possible on a straight overlock, 7.0, and a length of 2.5. If you are hand sewing this, which is certainly doable, use a blanket stitch in a comfortable spread.
| Used a sharp needle for synthetics, at 90/14 since it was thick. |
| Sewing the thick pile! |
| Overlocking of the curved edges finished- didn't need to do the bottom, it was already finished. |
| Don't ask me why the lady is holding her neck in the picture- maybe the company wants to cash in on the whole vampire craze too. |
Then, I folded the pointed part inwards, to be sandwiched around the side seam:
Remember that the bias tape always has one side wider than the other- put the wider edge on bottom, narrower on top. This ensures you catch the tape underneath when you sew.
Here's the cover completed with the tape edge over the raw edge seam:
The useful thing about this cover is not only is it thick enough to endure some hits, the cover can be used instead of a towel so she could use this to wipe down her board before putting it in the car. This cover fits up to a 10" fin of that general style (a big hatchet fin need not apply).
Yes, it can also be used as a potholder.
ShamWOW!
No comments:
Post a Comment