First, I gathered some supplies together: some chipped white shell bits drilled to use as beads, some dark lip shell round shaped beads for a sharp contrast (value is the term used in art), 49 strand coated flexible wire (Beadalon and Dandyline make these wires, and they're very strong, I used .015" diameter wire), crimp beads (in the size to match your wire, I used size #3), a clasp, some jump rings, a crimp tool, and wire flush cutters. All of these can be found at the local craft store.
| Shown: beads, stringing wire, tube of crimp beads, and clasp |
| Crimping tool on top of the chipped shell beads |
First, I'm going to slide a crimp bead onto the wire:
Next, I'm going to slide my clasp (or jump ring connector) on:
I'm going to take the end of the wire and pass it back through the crimp bead:
Making sure the wires aren't crossed WITHIN the bead, I'm going to use the bottom groove on the crimp tool to make my first indentation:
Next, I'll turn the bead 90 degrees and press again using the top groove of the crimp jaws, folding over the crimp in place:
Cut the short end of the wire with the wire flush cutters close to the crimp to finish:
Now, we're ready to string. In this example, I finished the jump ring connector side first and then strung beads. I decided to go with a 5+1 pattern: 5 chipped white shell beads, then 1 round brown shell bead. The chipped shell beads are random shapes and sizes, which make a nice look to the necklace, so don't try to match sizes or shapes- pick randomly.
| 5+1 pattern |
| Pattern developing |
| Finished necklace |
| My seahorse pendant |
| Pendant attached |
So now I'm ready to head out with my surfer necklace and conquer the big waves.
When I'm in the hospital afterward, bruised, bloodied, and unconscious, they'll say, "Wow, where did she get that cool surfer necklace? She must be hardcore."
Respect the necklace. Gnarlicious.
No comments:
Post a Comment