Instead of throwing out my wax wrappers, I collect them. I don't have any cats, so I'm still one stage removed from hoarding officially, so don't judge.
Anyhoo, I wanted to make a cool magnet from the wrapper. Some magnets I've seen at tourist trap beach stores are $5-6 bucks! This one's cheap and easy to make, so steer your out-of-town in-laws away from the overpriced crap and have fun making this during the afternoon thunderstorms we get around here that run everyone off of the beach.
I bought a ready made 3.25" diameter wood circle- you can cut one yourself with a scroll saw, but I found this at a craft store for a quarter. You may want to give the wood circle a once over with some 120 grit sandpaper if the edges are a bit rough still.
| Wax wrapper and pre cut balsa wood circle shape |
| Painting the wood circle with a small foam brush and acrylic paint |
| Using some Tacky glue to glue the wax label on the front of the wood circle |
| I used a compass to make a guide around the outside of the label off to the side to make the wax look 3-D |
After that, I put a small disc magnet on the clothespin in the middle, a little above the hinge point.
VoilĂ ! A cool little magnet that can actually be used to hold lists and stuff. Here's mine:
No comments:
Post a Comment