If you've been SUPing a while, you have noticed that while the carbon and fiberglass paddles are nice and light, they sometimes aren't the most comfy on your hands. Instead of wearing gloves, I decided to try this little cheap hack to help instead.
Go to any hardware store that sells a pretty good selection of plumbing supplies and look for pipe insulation. It's probably a good idea to take your paddle with you for a fit check.
For me, I found some elastomeric self sealing foam insulation that works well. The foam is more like thick neoprene rather than that pool noodle type foam. My paddle shaft circumference worked with 7/8" inner diameter insulation that came in 1/2" wall thickness.
| The self sealing pipe insulation for the project |
Before I went attaching this to my paddle, I cut a piece of bright electrical tape that I could move around on the shaft to see where I naturally hold the paddle.
| Marking the grip placement |
| Cutting the insulation to length. |
| Insulation before sealing up. |
| Grip sealed up on the paddle shaft |
| Completed grip on paddle. |
Well, I'll update about issues with this project- any other issue I'll just have to get a tissue.
***Update***
Quick update- only got to go out to the river today due to time constraints, but I found that the seam came apart a little with some sun on it. To remedy this, I did a candy cane stripe with electrical tape around the grip, kind of like a tennis racket.
| Securing with electrical tape. |
The grip works great and is VERY comfortable!!! YAY!!
No comments:
Post a Comment