He told me that a wetsuit really isn't meant to serve it's purpose beyond 5 years, and the neoprene they've got now- while stretchier and much less frustrating to put on, thank goodness- doesn't last beyond a season if used frequently. Sure, you can try to sell or give away an old suit to someone who may have nothing to use to block the cold, but if one is ripped up or just plain not going to do anyone any good, I'm on a quest to do SOMETHING with it as a crafter.
Here is that suit I mentioned from an earlier post about neoprene:
| That's some OLD neoprene! |
I DID wash this in the washing machine on warm with high efficiency detergent, but hung it up to dry- remember, I'm not going to be using this anymore as a wetsuit, so it's OK.
I thought a first project with this suit could be a wallet that could get a little nasty with salty hands, maybe not be too obvious to prying eyes, and could hold some stash cash for grub after the session.
I started by chopping the legs off below the knees, since this suit has some heavy pads in the knee area I want to keep intact. Neoprene won't fray since the fabric and neoprene are heat sealed together, so I didn't need to worry about it coming apart.
After cutting the bottom legs off, I cut them both open along the inner flatlocked seam of the leg, so there would be continuous neoprene with no seam to worry about. There were two colors, blue on the inside, black on the outside, so I could choose either color.
| Leg cut open at seam |
| Rotary cutter, mat, and Plexiglas measuring square, scraps off to the side |
| All 3 pieces cut out |
| I cleaned up this Velcro- ewww! |
I started off by sewing the hooked piece of Velcro to an end of the tab. I then sewed (or you can glue with waterproof glue) the other end of the tab to ONE of the 7.5" by 3.75" pieces- don't sew the pocket together yet! On the other end of the large piece, I sewed (or you can glue- sewing is more durable) the looped Velcro to the other end of the same large piece.
What did I use to sew the neoprene? On a machine, you can buy spools of nylon thread, but since I was hand sewing this completely, I used 4 LB Fireline. If you fish, you may know this as fishing line- to a crafter, like me, I use it for sewing and beadwork since it's very tough. You can reuse old fishing line, or new line in your tackle box. For a needle, I used a heavier embroidery sharp hand sewing needle. You can use backstitching, stab stitch, or whipstitch to attach the Velcro.
| Fireline nylon thread (fishing line) and Velcro being sewn onto tab |
| Getting ready to sew the pocket together |
Here's the finished wallet:
| Wallet open with my life savings inside |
| Wallet closed- let's keep it that way. |
Next project? We'll see.....
No comments:
Post a Comment